i absolutely love this recipe. if i could become a recipe, this is one i would seriously consider. i made these the other night along with the carrot cake balls. i can never make up my mind as to what i want to make, so i tend to try and bake a hundred different things at once. rather than post this with the other recipe, i decided to prolong the excitement/make it seem like i had a lot more to talk about at the beginning of this achy bakey blog. i found both recipes on bakerella‘s site. i’ve recently become an obsessive/compulsive food blog reader, and when i stumbled across her site and saw the plethora of ball variations, i knew i had to try them… immediately. i was impressed with how easy and quick this recipe was. (excluding chocolate hardening time). plus, i actually managed to pull off a fancy-esque look. i mean, come on, admire those crumbles on top. i MADE that! alright, horn tooting is over.
what you’ll need: 1 package oreos, 8oz. block of cream cheese (i went with fat free, because now the calories basically don’t even count. haha, yeh right.), 2 baking chocolate bars (i used dark chocolate)
1. finely crush about 3-4 oreo cookies in the food processor, and put aside. you will use this later as a topping. (when crushing up your oreos, definitely go with the food processor if you can. i have tried the ziplock bag/rolling pin trick before with them and found that the cream just gets mushed around and doesn’t get mixed in with the cookies and you pretty much just have a messy bag.)
(this is how fine it should be)
2. eat a cookie or two. because oreos are yummy. now crush up the rest of your cookies and mix in the softened cream cheese. you can use a spoon, but i used my hands, since as you could see from the last post… that is just how i roll.
3. …and speaking of rolling… roll your mixture of oreo/cream cheese goodness into 1 inch balls and place on a wax paper covered cookie sheet. you might want to stick the mixture in the freezer for a minute first so it is easier to work with.
4. melt chocolate bars according to the directions on the wrapper. then drop a ball into the chocolate, roll around, and tap off excess chocolate. place back on wax paper and repeat with the rest of your balls.
i melted the chocolate about half a bar at a time, so it would be easier to work with.
before the chocolate melts, sprinkle some of the oreo crumbs you saved earlier on top. it will make your truffles (balls!) even prettier.
5. let them dry a bit and then keep them in the refrigerator.
the verdict: i am in love. i tried to spread the love, i really did. but when you really love something…it’s hard to let go of it. that being said, i had only a few taste testers. because my roommates and i hoarded them. hips and waists be damned.
tester m: “mmm, oreo truffles are a good breakfast.”
tester w: “hey, um, can i have another one of those?” and then later “pleeease say you brought me more of your balls!” (he is lucky that i reward those who play to my ego)
tester c: “next time, you should make an extra batch.”
i’m thinkin’ that deserves two thumbs up.